The most beautiful lakes around Munich
The Fünfseenland – Diversity and nature a stone’s throw from the center of Munich
Only a few kilometres away fromMunichyou find the Fünfseenland. The area around the five lakes Starnberger See, Ammersee, Wörthsee, Pilsensee and Wesslinger See is known for its, by ice-age glaciers grounded, hilly moraine landscape.
- Thanks to the alpine panorama the Starnberger See offers an unforgettable sight. At the numerous meadows and beaches you can perfectly relax and enjoy yourself. Boat rentals, guided boat trips or shopping-trips through the town ofStarnberg make the perfect holiday feeling.
- The Ammersee is ideal for water sports. Whether swimming, rowing, sailing or wind surfing, no one will miss out. For cyclists a trip around the lake is recommended. With a distance of 45 kilometres, the beautiful landscape and a few rests at the lake or in one of the numerous beer gardens this is going to be a perfect one-day tour.
- The Wörthsee is situated in a moraine landscape, sheltered by forests, meadows and hills. Many beautiful places with bath jetties in the southern part of the lake invite to swim and sunbath. For gourmets, there are well-known pubs and restaurants. On a beautiful summer day the lake can easily be walked round by foot.
- The Pilsensee is the youngest of the five lakes and has reedy shore areas. The so-called “Herrschinger Moor” is is a nature conservation area and ideal for hiking and biking.
- The smallest lake Weißlinger See is not very suitable for swimming, because it has neither an inflow nor an outflow.
Starnberger See. Source: flickR dorena-wm
Situated in a magnificent mountain scenery – the Tegernsee and the Sylvenstein Reservoir
Beside the Fünfseenland visitors and locals will find even more picturesquely located lakes in the surroundings of Munich, for example the widely known Tegernsee or the Sylvenstein Reservoir.
The Tegernsee is located only 50 kilometres south of Munich in the Bavarian Alps. It is a popular tourist destination and loved by sailors and windsurfers. The lake is by the way one of the cleanest lakes in Bavaria. Around the Tegernsee you can also play golf or go paragliding. Furthermore there are numerous cultural events in this area, for example the Blues Festival, folk- and country theatre or the Leonhardi festival events.
The Sylvenstein Reservoir is a reservoir located in the south of the town Lenggries next to the road from Bad Tölz to the lake Achensee.
The reservoir was built in the fifties for flood protection of the Isar valley and is used in dry times to ensure the sufficient water supply of the Isar River. The turquoise lake impresses with its alpine scenery of the Karwendel and it is a popular destination for swimming and water sports enthusiasts as well as for anglers. On its shores there are many small swimming bays. But watch out – as it is a mountain lake the water with its temperature of about 18 degrees Celsius is really refreshing.
Whether in or around the Bavarian state capital – summer holidays in Munich combine sightseeing, rest and refreshment in unique scenes.